You are here: Urology Textbook > Signs and symptoms > Renal tumor
Renal Tumor or Kidney Tumor: Differential Diagnosis
Differential Diagnosis of Renal Tumors
Inflammatory renal tumors:
- Renal abscess or perinephric abscess
- Xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis
- Infected renal cyst
- Rheumatic granuloma
Tumors of Renal Parenchyma:
Tumors of the renal pelvis:
- Papilloma of the urothelium
- Transitional cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
Cystic renal tumors:
- Simple or complicated renal cyst
- Parapelvic renal cyst
- Benign multilocular cyst
- Caliceal diverticula
- Cystic nephroma
- Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD)
- Autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease (ARPKD)
- von Hippel-Lindau syndrome
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Cysts from the lymphatic system
Renal tumors of the vascular system:
Renal tumors of the nervous system:
Mesenchymal renal tumors:
- Benign tumors: fibroma, lipoma, leiomyoma
- Malignant tumors: fibrosarcoma, liposarcoma, leiomyosarcoma
Perirenal renal tumors:
- Extragonadal germ cell tumors
- Lymph node metastases (e.g. testicular cancer)
- Renal lymphoma
- Retroperitoneal sarcoma
Renal metastases are the most common malignant manifestation of the kidneys in autopsies. Common primary cancer sites are lung cancer, breast cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, malignant melanoma and lymphoma.
Diagnostic Work-Up for Renal Tumors
Renal sonography is the basic imaging tool for renal tumors. Suspicious lesions of the kidney in ultrasound imaging are further investigated with computed tomography or MRI.
Abdominal CT is the imaging test of choice to verify a renal tumor. In addition to diagnosis and preoperative staging, the renal function of both kidneys can be estimated.
Abdominal MRI is indicated in renal insufficiency, contraindication to contrast media, in doubtful findings in CT or if vena cava thrombus is present.
Surgical exploration of the kidney with partial nephrectomy is indicated for renal tumors, if malignant disease has to be ruled out with a histological diagnosis.
Index: 1–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
- A. J. Wein, L. R. Kavoussi, A. C. Novick, A. P. Partin, und C. A. Peters.
- Campbell-Walsh Urology.
Saunders, Philadelphia, 9th edition, 2007.
Deutsche Version: Differentialdiagnose Nierentumor